To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

A couple firsts

Yesterday student #4 had her first lesson with me – on her mom's nice-looking TB mule! Eerily enough, the mule stumbled and nearly fell at the canter; so thankful the student stayed on and no one got hurt. We didn't canter after that, but had plenty to work on. The next lesson is in two weeks, and she may ride something different, possibly her own semi-retired mule. Although I've never "schooled a mule" before, it wasn't any different than a horse; I could definitely see myself on a nice-moving mule!

I enjoy working with people new to dressage, but I must admit it was wonderful teaching someone who isn't. Student #4 has shown to Second Level so is "dressage literate," making communication easy. And when she paid me at the end she tipped me $10 – the second first! We have another lesson scheduled in two weeks and she emailed me a nice thank-you later, so I think she was happy with the instruction. 😊

In Lance news, I lunged him on Sunday evening. Partly to exercise him, and partly to see how he moves. I didn't "bit him up" in case he tripped (which he only did once with a back foot), just used a halter and lunge line. He was excruciatingly lazy; don't know if it's because he's so fat or because he doesn't feel good. Rick watched him for quite awhile but hasn't said anything.
I'm headed out shortly to walk him around the neighborhood while it's still cool.

No comments: