To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Thursday, July 26, 2018

He's a keeper

This horse o' mine, he has my heart. Even though we really can't "dance" anymore, we can still enjoy our walks – and so can others.

On Tuesday morning some neighbors brought their visiting granddaughter over to ride Lance. I ended up giving her a little dressage lesson and she did very well.

(Love my bitless bridle for things like this!)

A friend of mine who is recovering from a broken ankle may come over and ride him to "get her legs back." He's steady enough that she'll feel safe, while I tune up her mare with some schooling rides.

So I may be window-shopping for another horse, but my buddy isn't going anywhere. Tonight we rode around the hill after sunset, enjoying a cool(ish) breeze and the nearly full moon.

I'm not giving as many lessons in this heat, but student #1 is available in the morning so we are soldiering on. Her horse Carl is the reason I'm considering an off-track thoroughbred:
Isn't he a looker?

2 comments:

Theresa said...

What a very good boy! Lance is such a kind horse. I wish so much that he wasn't so compromised. I see OTT TB's here for sale quite often. Carl certainly is a nice looking boy, I can see why he could change a few minds especially if he has decent feet and a nice temperament.

Michelle said...

Carl has a FANTASTIC temperament; his feet are pretty typical for a TB. He's quite tall – 16.2? – but so is his rider so he doesn't look tall in my photo.