To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Stoking the fire

Yesterday I took a road trip with a friend to deliver one of my Shetland sheep to Auburn, WA. We were going to be so near Emerald Downs, where there are a number of retiring racehorses looking for new homes and careers. Wouldn't it be wonderful to take a look at some in person, particularly the two below?


But it was not to be. Tuesday was best for sheep delivery but the only day no one is available at the track. Guess I'll just have to wait until this fall/winter when the "point woman" for retiring TBs is at Portland Meadows. I think that will also be a more auspicious time for a cooperative husband....

Wednesday is lesson day for Student #1. Last week she asked if I wanted to ride her lovely OTTB but I wasn't dressed for it. Today I planned to dress for riding, just in case – and then she sent me a text asking me to come ready to ride.

What fun! Carl is a typical "wet-noodle" baby horse, still learning how to use his body in response to a rider's aids, but he's willing to try and easy to direct. And he's as lovely to ride as he is to watch. On my way home I realized I had that "top of the world" feeling that a good ride gives you – and also realized how long it's been since I've experienced it. Non-horsepeople would doubtless think it silly that one's entire day can be colored by how well or how rough one's "dance" with a horse goes, but those periods of communication, harmony and balance are pure magic – a magic carpet ride.

5 comments:

sylkan said...

Where do you look to find these OTTTs? I like the black one better for his stronger loin, but the chestnut sure has a pretty neck. A bit light in the legs though? You are probably right about waiting a bit longer... the right horse may fall in your lap while you are not looking.

Michelle said...

Sylvia, there is a Facebook page called Retiring Racehorses – Pacific NW that lists available horses at the track; that's where Student #1 made the contact to get Carl. The dark horse is six years old and has a decent track record so may have a lot more wear and tear; the chestnut is just three and has only started once (and didn't place), so much less wear and tear and perhaps a better mind for a different career.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I wouldn't discount an older horse who's raced quite a bit. He wouldn't be able to do that if he wasn't a good worker and sound ;-).

Theresa said...

Both are handsome horses, myself I'm partial to the one you fall in love with! :-)
I'm so glad you got a fun ride in on the noodle. . Sounds like he is going to be a fabulous partner for his person.

Michelle said...

Point taken, Sara.

There's that, Theresa . . . but my heart tends to get broken. :-/