To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Thursday, May 27, 2021

Three in a row

Since my last post, I have made some tack adjustments for various reasons. After our trip to the fairgrounds I took a look at Stella's bit, and decided it was finished. There seems to be more damage, and I don't want to risk it hurting her. I've been riding her in the German hackamore at home anyway, so switched back to that. But she started shaking her head with irritation during our next ride. I suspected that Breezy's too-small browband was pinching her ear, so I switched the German hackamore over to a biothane bridle I picked up at a local farm store and that fixed the issue. As for the bit, Suzan thinks the double-jointed 'lozenge' snaffle I got for her will work fine for showing; she recommends the Nathe for long-lining but we haven't been doing that.

What won't work for showing is the ancient Wintec saddle I've been using on Stella. So I decided I'd better start riding her in the newer Wintec saddle I use on Lance; their measurements indicate they need the same size gullet, after all. But after two rides it was quite clear to me that she was not as happy or comfortable with the 'upgrade;' I switched back and she's been fine.

Actually, she's been more than fine. The last three rides I've had on her have been consistently excellent. She has walked without jigging, accepted my aids, and the circles of our figure eights have been round. It's like she's graduated from kindergarten! I don't want to mess with success to shoehorn her into show-appropriate tack, so I think that pretty much settles the question of next month's show. That's okay; there will be more shows later in the year, and we will be more ready. In the meantime, we'll enjoy other adventures! Today, our driveway; this summer, hopefully Perrydale Trails and the beach. (We haven't gone to the fairgrounds again because Lisa's truck broke down.)

No comments: