To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Going to work

Larry looks less gaunt already. He doesn't seem buffaloed by Sam anymore and is drinking and eating better. He is a personable fellow, and was quite tidy in his space last night, using a small portion of his paddock for elimination and keeping his stall clean and dry.

This morning I got an old bridle that was my Swedish warmblood mare's fitted to Larry (he doesn't like flash attachments, and Russell's bridle has one), tacked him up with lunging surcingle and loose side reins, and took him out for a short lunging session. He is not as well trained on the lunge line as I'm used to, but I'm already seeing progress there, too. I took some photos of him at the walk; one of these days I'll have to get help to try and capture his trot for you; it is lovely.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Had to pop over to meet Larry, how wonderful you have a new dance partner! Hopefully I'll remember to check over here once in a while to check progress.

Theresa said...

He'll look like a different horse in two months, but what a shame he's in such rough condition to begin with. So glad you are enjoying him so far. YEAH!!! So, no go on the Sunday rescue mare?

Michelle said...

Sorry, Theresa; I realized after re-reading my posts that I switched gears quickly and never explained. That mare had an old injury in the left rear fetlock area. When Rick saw photos, he said it was more likely to be problematic than not. She was on the track until age seven, which is a lot of wear and tear. I just couldn't risk falling in love with another chronically injured horse.

A :-) said...

I think he totally looks more filled out already!

Michelle, how does it happen that a horse gets as gaunt as he looks in the earlier photos?

Michelle said...

Adrienne, Larry is a light-framed horse to start with because of his Arabian dam. And I think he looks particularly gaunt in that earlier photo because he was a bit dehydrated, and didn't finish all of his hay because he was thirsty.

cheyenne jones said...

Larry is definitely looking better, filled out and with some obvious life in him.
I`ll be following his progress.

But whats with these double word comment thingys?

Michelle said...

I've noticed those on other blogs recently, Cheyenne. Must be a new security feature from Blogger!