To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Giant strides

After working so hard yesterday, I wasn't sure how Larry would act during our lesson today. Would he be tired and cranky? Sore and sullen? No - he was even BETTER than yesterday - and even ended up with a foamy mouth for the first time!
(Photo was taken after "the itchiest horse in the world" rubbed his face all over his leg.)

I'm so glad I followed Julie's suggestion to ride with her two days back to back; it really solidified what I need to work on with Larry. I wasn't sure I'd make it today when I woke up to this,
but the roads were just wet. Hopefully, the weather will be better next week for our last ride!

Here is the video that Julie shot today:



Be kind; we've come a long way in just a month!

10 comments:

Laura said...

Wow! That's way different than when I videoed you two! Yay for you and Larry!

Wendy said...

I think you guys look great in such a short time! And he is SO CUTE and relaxed!

TBDancer said...

What an obedient and willing boy is Larry, and you and he make a very nice "picture." I can see why you like him. HE seems to like you, too ;o) Keep up the good work!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Argh - I can't get the video to load :-/.

Marie said...

He is really starting to develop some muscle tone. He looks soft and happy even when he is fussing a little. Great job! He is such a nice mover.

Michelle said...

Sara, did you try refreshing the screen and then hitting play again? Once I had to hover my courser over the window and click on the movie name, which opened a separate YouTube window in which the movie played.

Nancy K. said...

Looking Good!

What was that with him carrying his head so low at the very end?

And who ever named a horse "Larry"?!

;-)

Michelle said...

I knew you'd appreciate the difference, Laura!

Thanks, TBDancer; I do believe you're right about the mutual affection. :-)

Yes, Marie, he really is a nice mover. Needs a LOT more muscle-building, though. Can't hold a canter very long. We'll be doing LOTS of transitions.

Nancy, all dressage tests call for the horse to stretch in various gaits; it's a good thing when they are willing to do it when offered the chance. And the name thing . . . well, it's a bit of a story. :-)

Theresa said...

Oh Michelle, you two seem to be working together so nicely and quietly.
He has lovely movement, along with that super cute head. He's going to be amazing when he adds some more weight and muscle. The transition work will go a long way for both of you. NICE stretch at the end. He has a lovely walk.

Unknown said...

His trot looks lovely, and he seems willing. Bet he looks like a different horse after a few more months of work.