To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Good medicine

I've been walking Lance, which is oh, so hard for him. He constantly wants to grab something – grass, leaves, my arm(!) – and when I scold him, he sometimes uses it as an excuse to try cavorting. But I'm glad to see him feelin' fine, and can't wait to ride him through the woods again. Now I can (almost) say I have doctor's orders to do it!

My SI joints have been cranky ever since Lance tripped and fell with me last summer. I tried the chiropractor next door to where I work, who didn't help, so I finally went to see the physical therapist who did so much for my frozen shoulder and bad knee. That gave me 36 pain-free hours; then I got sick, Lance got hurt, a few weeks passed and I was uncomfortable again. I went in for another session on Tuesday, and the PT decided to try traction. BAD idea; traction hurt, and left me barely able to function. Back I went this morning; based on the bad outcome from Tuesday, the PT said he suspects arthritis rather than a disk problem. After treatment, he gave me some stretches to do and instructed me to keep riding, since dressage, properly ridden, is core-strengthening. Now that's a prescription I can appreciate!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Staying fit when not riding is difficult! I hope you feel better, as Lance certainly does. :-)