To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Thursday, August 20, 2020

Movie night

It took awhile, but I finally got the five(!) video clips I took during Stella's first lesson with Lisa and the two video clips from her second lesson yesterday uploaded to YouTube. (There are no video clips from my Tuesday 'lesson' at Lisa's, working with two of her mustangs, because we were both busy.) If you want the CliffsNotes version, just watch the first and the last videos. I think even the uninitiated among you will recognize that Stella and I have made more progress in one week than we had in the 7+ months prior. She ground-drives now!

Here is Lisa checking in with Stella yesterday, after a week of us doing our homework every day.


First lesson, part one

First lesson, part two

First lesson, part three

First lesson, part four

First lesson, part five

Second lesson highlight

Second lesson finale

I would love to know what you see and think!

8 comments:

marlane said...

Beautiful basic training. Communicating to the horse what is wanted is paramount and all the new age trainers, as I call them are great.Although Clinton Anderson is a bit too dominant. I used Pat Parelli's seven games and Mony Roberts round pen work. The main thing I taught mine was the backing up when the rope is wiggled, the best tool ever for ground work. The release is the magic. One time at a clinic I was hooked up to a lunge line and another person asked me to go forward. What an eye opener.

Michelle said...

It really has made a big difference in Stella, Marlane. I'm not a 'disciple' of any method; I've been around the block enough times that I know what I will and won't try. Trust is #1!

Retired Knitter said...

From the uninitiated !! She did great. I wanted to give her a great big hug!!

marlane said...

Michelle I agree about the trust. You are fortunate as you have said before, to have an empty slate in Stella. The worst is trying to gain the trust of a horse who has not been respected by humans. It is so interesting to see her and your progress.

Alanna M said...

Wow! What a transformation in only 2 lessons. She was so relaxed by the end of that second session. Looks like you did a fabulous job on your homework. I bet you'll be really riding her in no time now that you have more tools in your tool box.

Jeannec said...

I'm really impressed in this! Such an enjoyable series of videos!! Thanks for sharing!

Jeanne said...

That was really my comment, but the kindle tossed in another letter on my name!! I would love to be able to just watch her training. Keep up the good work!

A :-) said...

I don't know anything about this, but I can tell how excited you are, so it must be great!! Yay!!