To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Ratzenphooey

This evening I got Lance ready for a twilight ride. He walked out of his stall off or stiff, I wasn't sure which, so I led him to the arena (where we do our walking warm-up), cleaned out his feet, and got on. After a couple steps I jumped off; he was clearly lame on the left front. I called my 'built-in veterinarian' for the second night in a row (last night my Shetland ram had a goopy, painful eye), and Rick came down to check Lance out. After watching Lance walk in small figure-8s, doing a flexion test, blocking the nerves to the fetlock and foot, then blocking the nerves to the upper suspensory area, Rick narrowed it down to the upper suspensory. Neither of us could remember which legs Lance has injured before, so when we came to the house I checked my blog. Six years ago he tore his suspensory and his inferior check ligaments in his left front, the third of his four legs to sustain soft tissue injuries. 😖😖😖

My poor big red goober. He has had more problems than any one horse should have to bear. I am thankful to have an understudy in the wings, but I need Lance to keep my riding muscles limber to be ready for Stella. 😩

7 comments:

Alanna M said...

Oh, I'm sorry. That sucks!

Michelle said...

Yes, it does, Alanna. 😢

Retired Knitter said...

awww. How old is he?

Jeanne said...

Oh Ratzenphooies for sure! I'm very sorry for Lance. I know you've had him for quite a while.

Stella had better get her act in gear quickly, so you have a horse to ride!

I chuckled, though, when I saw the heading for this post. My sister was the first one to use that!

Had in there, dear friend!

Jeanne said...

Dumb Kindle! It never fails to put in an odd word instead of what i want!!

A :-) said...

Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear this about Lance. He has had more than his share of things go wrong. :-(

On the positive side, that blue halter is amazing on Stella!!!

Michelle said...

Not that old, Elaine! I think he's 12 this year.

Stella will progress as fast as SHE can, Jeanne; I'll just have to be patient while working with her daily.

Yes, he has, A. Unfortunately, that blue halter is WAY too big for Stella. I've gotten her a new one but didn't go with bright blue. I should have!