To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Wednesday, January 19, 2022

One step back and three steps forward

Last Friday Stella was back to her tense, go-go girl self. When I wanted her to walk she'd jig and break to the trot; at the trot she wanted to rush and break to the canter – but "don't touch my face!" When she acts like that, dancing together like ballroom partners seems a distant dream.

But on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday she was much better. We were able to work at the walk and the trot without drama; I didn't ask her to canter and she didn't insist except for one time she slipped into it as quietly as could be, stayed calm and quiet, and then came back to trot on her own.

I took a photo of her on Sunday, and when I went to my photo file to add it to this post there was a second photo dated 1/16 – from 2021.


Even though it's bittersweet, I'm including it. That's a young, black Morgan stallion that my son got to ride. Last winter while he was at college (he dropped out; that's the bittersweet part) in Walla Walla, WA, he connected with a Morgan trainer there through the girl he was dating. He got to ride at the trainer's several times, and on two different stallions. He said this one was really tall, so I looked him up (at the time; now I can't remember his name). Over 16 hands high; that IS tall for a Morgan! But I was not impressed by the side view I saw of him. It would be interesting see current photos, though, as he was only three or four then and has probably matured a lot. Now if only my son would . . . . 😏

2 comments:

A :-) said...

I'm really enjoying that you're posting here more often again :-) I know things go in their own rhythm. I'm glad things are going well with Stella.

Michelle said...

Thanks, A; I wanted to do a better job of documenting Stella's training. Years ago I kept a training journal; now I'm using this blog.