To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Monday, December 2, 2013

Rodeos, fiascos, and windows

With meeting my friend's new horse and all the other stuff that had to be done on Friday, I didn't get to ride that day or the next. I did turn everyone out in the arena Saturday afternoon to burn off some steam, and boy, did they! (I took some video, but deemed it "not that exciting." Sure was fun to watch them run and buck and roll and rear, though!)

Yesterday's gloomy gray clouds kept threatening rain, but didn't do more than spit occasionally. We were able to harvest a surprisingly dry Christmas tree from our neighbor's lot, then my MIL came out to help us decorate it and eat lunch. After she left, I realized the time and weather were cooperating to give me a window in which to ride. Whee! But before I could get out the door our Christmas tree crashed to the floor (see my other blog), and dealing with THAT huge mess ended all thoughts of riding (except for pining over lost opportunity).

Today was supposed to be a soaker, so when I woke up and saw some breaks in the clouds, I donned breeches for morning chores. Lance and I got sprinkled on just a little bit, but we managed to get in a good school. There have been other breaks in the weather since (between rain and hail showers) when it's been tempting to ride again, since it's supposed to get cold tonight and stay that way (read: "concrete" arena footing again) the rest of the week. Alas, I have other responsibilities, so one ride today will be all Lance gets!

No comments: