To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Monday, March 31, 2014

What do you with a problem like my mustang?

Yesterday I took advantage of a break in the showers (I thought) to ride Lance. But by the time I had him groomed and saddled, it was raining again. So I left him tied (with halter and lead rope!) in his paddock and watched sheep for awhile (I had two pregnant ewes who are toying with me). When the shower stopped and I returned to Lance, I found this:
He had just enough leeway in his lead to reach around and unbuckle half his girth!

At 7:00 p.m. I took a bottle down for my bottle lamb, along with some towels in case one of the ewes had given birth. Since there were no new lambs, I decided to leave the towels in the tack room. I walked into the barn, and Lance's stall door was ajar! I found him in the upper pasture calmly grazing, the turkey. Fortunately he didn't play any catch-me-if-you-can games, and I led him back to his stall.

Obviously, bolt snaps (above) are no longer a challenge for my nimble-lipped Lance, so I switched things around and put a threaded quick link through his stall latch. If that doesn't work, I think a combination lock will be our next step….

5 comments:

Theresa said...

Lance Busy Lips! He'd probably figure out a bull snap too. I guess it's just something to do. Maybe you should give him some rubics cubes or something or just make up a board of latches and snaps and mount it on his stall door, he can play with those leaving the true stall lock untouched.

Mary said...

"...just make up a board of latches and snaps and mount it on his stall door, he can play with those leaving the true stall lock untouched." Theresa is on to something there. He obviously wants to play with stuff. Did I tell you that Nich removed all the rebar from his stall window when I first had him in a stall?

Anonymous said...

Too bad you can't figure out a paying job for your busy boy, so he could pay his own way!

Piccolopony said...

That is really amazing! I can't imagine how a horse could possibly figure out how to open one of those things with his lips!! Sometimes I struggle with opening them.

thecrazysheeplady said...

You've sure got your hands full there with that boy!